Friday 21 November 2008

Portfolio


This day (Nov/11) is our first day of the Training of Indonesia Professional Development Program in Teaching Quality and Methodology. The class is taught by Dr. Ann Cheryl Armstrong, who also sit as Director of Division of Professional Learning in the Faculty of Education and Social Work at the University of Sydney. In my opinion, she is so briliant that often inspiring us to do something. I am really concern with the modules since I just have little knowledge and skill about education. I graduated from Gadjah Mada University where there is no educational subject to study. My Bachelor of Science comes from studying Geography for 5 years. Therefore this course will be something important for me as a lecturer in Primary Teaching Education Department. Modules and lessons consist of several topics that are new for me. Like in this morning, we learnt about portfolio. From this lesson, I can see that portfolio can be described as method of assessing to demonstrate achievement of outcomes and performances in real-life situation. Making our skill better to understand what is portfolio, Dr. Ann asked to the participants to write our daily experience into one page. We need to try in establishing critical thinking through portfolio. Besides critical thinking, portfolio has essence as a reflective piece, shows characteristics of effective work practice, and evidence of how person has demonstrated learning, skill, and understanding.
I have never experienced in writing portfolio journal so this is my first activity. For the first, it may be something uneasy to do. However, we will never know if we never try. This portfolio make my skill perfect, as Dr. Ann said, to foster self-assessment and reflection, to provide personal satisfaction, as empowering, and to promote collaboration. A set of my portfolio will be a learning journal. Learning journal can be defined as a systematic way of documenting learning and collecting information for self-analysis and reflection. This definition is taken from Kerka (1996) in Dr. Anns paper. Learning journal also be described as a collection of personal notes about observation, reading, and reactions. Learning journal is a tool during this course and I am eager to have it keep in a good one to bring back home.

(Day 2 – Nov 13, 2008 on Tuesday)
Lecturer : Dr. Ann Cheryl Amrstrong

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello my friends, thanks for giving me comment on sayoricorner!